Villa San José

Freestanding Chemical Dependency Rehab



Number of Beds: 12
Detox Available: Yes


Last Year’s Admissions:

Total Annual Admits Adolescents: 16 Adults: 12
Average Length of Stay 3-6 months
Percent of Women 45%
Percent under 25 100%
Percent with College Education 10%
Percent Covered by Public Assistance 0%
Receiving some form of psychiatric medication other than for detoxification 80%

Admissions Procedures:

Night Admission Available: Yes
Weekend Admission available: Yes
Face to Face Interview or exam required before admission: Yes



Facility has separate program for:

  • Adolescents (Ages 12-18)
  • Anorexia/Bulimia
  • Family
  • Spanish Speaking
  • Young Adults (Ages 18-25)

Facility has special track for:

  • Abuse/PTSD/Trauma
  • Acute Care
  • Alcohol Addiction
  • Cocaine Addiction
  • Depression
  • Methadone
  • Psychiatric (Dual Diagnosis)

Facility has group sessions for:

  • Anger Management/Conflict Resolution
  • Codependency
  • Compulsive Gambling
  • Compulsive Overeating
  • Crystal Meth
  • Domestic Violence
  • Gay & Lesbian
  • Grief & Loss
  • Heroin Addiction
  • Inhalant Abuse
  • Marijuana
  • Nicotine Cessation
  • Obsessive Compulsive
  • Prescription Drugs
  • Relapse
  • Sexual Addictions



Self-pay Cost: $1500 per week
Public Assistance coverage may be accepted: No
Medicare Coverage accepted: No
Insurance Coverage verified before admission: No
Follow-up Care included at no additional charge: No



Licensed by: Costa Rica Ministry of Health, Costa Rica Child Welfare Agency, Costa Rica Institute for Alcoholism and Drug Addiction
Type of License: Full license and accreditation adolescents and adults, inpatient residential mental health clinic
Accredited by: Costa Rica Institute of Alcoholism and Drug Addiction


Self Description:

“Villa San José provides a fully integrated program designed for adolescents and young adults with chemical dependency and concomitant psychiatric disorders (Dual Diagnosis).”

Treatment Philosophy:

“We believe that treatment is most successful when it is carefully planned according to the patient’s individual needs, with the participation of a multidisciplinary treatment team, the patient when possible, and the patient’s family.”

Approach to Dual Diagnosis:

“We seek, welcome, and specialize in dual diagnosis patients.”

Family Program:

“Because of distance, we plan intensive family therapy weekends and didactic family education, as well as providing educational reading materials for family.”

Position on 12 Step Involvement:

“While Villa San José incorporates 12 Step participation through step study groups and outside AA/NA meetings, this compromises only about 20% of the therapeutic component, with the remaining 80% utilizing a cognitive-behavioral approach.”

Position on Confrontation:

“We believe that mild to moderate confrontation can be a useful tool when there is full consensus for its usefulness within the multidisciplinary treatment team, and is planned within the patient’s individual treatment plan.”

Additional Characteristics:

“Villa San José has a stunning, 30,000 square meter campus, 1900 meters above sea level, in the mountains of Costa Rica, overlooking the capital city of San José. Adjunct components include art therapy, yoga, and equine therapy.”

Contact Information:
Admissions Telephone Number: (866) 932-5985
General Information: (866) 932-5985
Address: Apartado Postal 459-1260
Escazú, Costa Rica, Central America